Not too far from our apartment hangs an educational Paris landmark. It’s right across the street from the Sénat, in the arcade.
This is another Parisian line, in front of number 36 rue de Vaugirard and not far from the church of Saint Sulpice. It was placed here in 1796-7 when the metre was adopted at a national convention as the metric standard of length. Sixteen of these marble metres were put in different locations around Paris. Today only two of these marble standards are still in existence, and this is the only one in its original location.
By the way, this site has some fun photos of graphic images from around the world, with explanatory text.